Monday, October 1, 2012

Sub-Domain Versus Domain Name

If you’re planning to build your own website – first you have to determine which web address you will use for your website: Is it by using a Sub-domain or your own Domain name? Below are short accounts of comparison between Sub-domain and Domain name. Of course, which ever you will choose it is best for you – you are the one to pay for your registration.



It is said that having a sub-domain can act as a nice way of organizing your domain name into different branches or departments and it is a good choice for displaying your website on the internet. But the disadvantage – it is viewed as very amateurish in the online world. Not like having a domain name which is the overwhelming option of choice for a person wanting to make money from his website.


A Sub-domain is a web address that is part of a parent domain name. Sub-domains typically serve as a secondary way of displaying your website. Examples of sub-domains include: maps.google.com, or dir.yahoo.com. You can see that each of these websites use sub-domains as a secondary way of displaying different branches of their businesses, while they use a domain name to display the main part of their business. So maps and dir are subdomains of the parent domain names google.com and yahoo.com.

For example, your web address would be something like: http://YourName.Google.com where YourName is the name you choose for your site. Having a sub-domain can act as a nice way of organizing your domain name into different branches or departments. If you’re not looking to make any money from your website, a sub-domain is a good choice for displaying your website on the Internet. Another example is paulpruel.hubpages.com and wikinutawesome.blogspot.com. So PaulPruel and WikinutAwesome are subdomains of hubpages.com and blogspot.com.

However, if you’re looking to make money from your website, having a sub-domain will put you at an immediate disadvantage because they are viewed as very amateurish in the online world. If you’re immediately seen as an amateur, you will not be able to build the trust you will need with your visitors in order for them to pull out their credit card and purchase whatever it is you are selling. On top of that, it will be very difficult for your potential customers to remember where to go to visit your website.

While a domain name according to some experts is the overwhelming option of choice for people wanting to make money from their websites. Because a domain name is the web address that someone inputs into their browser to view your website on the Internet. Examples of domain names are google.com, eBay.com, or MySpace.com, Triond.com, Wikinut.com, ExpertsColumn.com an dHubPages.com. Having your own domain name, let’s see for example: www.paulpruel.com or www.paulpruel.org – you want people to remember you and your website. If you’re truly serious about your business, getting your own domain name is what successful online businesses do.

Other opportunities to earn online aside from your writing hobby like:
 Read also:




33 comments:

  1. good info dude, sa kabilang village ka pala nakatira ngayon. Ako Triond pa rin. Yes I'll get a domain name,bunso (Marie) will buy me one daw eh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude Papaleng sa Triond parin naman ako. I am envy. Buti ka pa magkaka domain kana. Me too is planning to have my own domain. Matanong ko nga rin si bunso kung magkano ang magagastos - kung sakaling idaan ko sa kaniya. I remember meron siyang account sa Smart Money through smart money ko siya babayaran.

      Delete
  2. LOL when I entered blogging, I don't know what's domain, sub domain and even hosting. Too gullible from all of that stuff, but in the process, I slowly learned from it some friends also tried to explain it to me what are the benefits I can get if I will own a domain. Anyway, this is a good tip from those newbies who are learning the domain, subdomain and etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sa kasu-surf ko sa Internet nalaman ko ang patungkol sa kanila at that's the only time I actually learned about them. Now I am also planning to get my own domain. Thanks Anne.

      Delete
  3. It's really interesting. I should check on this. Thank you so much, Paul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always welcome Emely and thank you too. See you around again.

      Delete
  4. there's always pros and cons in both parties...I have a subdoman and domain blogs and I've noticed some differences...good and bad.

    btw, if you have not joined my giveaway yet...you are very welcome to join here: http://demcyapdiandias.blogspot.com/2012/09/mohawk-150-gc-mixed-bag-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. Both have pros and cons. Yes Dhemz I'll check it out soon. Thanks for the info and your visit.

      Delete
  5. very good info, i did not know before about domain and sub-domains, however, i was so excited to have my own domain :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betchai - we have the same interest to have our own domain.

      Delete
  6. have tried all these stuff before I engage into blogging, but up until no I'm still not earning.. heheh :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you would need to re design your site Vernz and then apply the power of sharing - to social networks and other bookmarking sites including YouTube or try also to write for other publishing sites that pay. Or as part of online web marketing - submit your sites to bing, goole, yahoo and to other search engines. You will be surprised that traffic and views will flush in your web sites.

      Delete
  7. thanks for the tip! this post is rather timely as I am looking to self-host my blogs.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Anna - and that's good idea for you. Just let us know so that we can visit, support and connect each other site.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing! All my blogs now have their own domains..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats Algene. How much did you spend for them? I am planning too...

      Delete
  9. I learned something new today. I didn't realize my two other blogs are sub-domains, being hosted on free Wordpress and Blogger. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow.. very timely this post as i am planning to have my own domain name and the inputs are very well said..thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Fallen - and thank you too for the visit and the kind words. In fact, we have the same plan.

      Delete
  11. i think the first thing that you would think about is the niche or the theme of your domain. on what is your domain all about. then afterward you can think of the name of the name. it will be easier when you know what is your website all about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very right Emzkie - the theme or the niche is the first to consider before deciding a domain. Thank you for the add of info. Much appreciated. See you again.

      Delete
  12. was thinking of creating a sub domain for my domain.. but I did not pursue it because I do not have enough time to build another blog haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Mommy you can earn from that - you can offer or market it to others who have not yet created their blog sites. You can offer sub domains for them through your own domain.

      Delete
  13. Hi Kuya. sub-domain is very useful for those who have big sites or let's stay, static sites..

    I have some subdomains. And yup, will buy paps a domain! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, dude papaleng mentioned it that you will buy domain for him bunso. kindly, tell me how much will be spent in acquiring a domain name. I am planning to have my own domain name too. I just thought maybe you can help me on this. thanks.

      Delete
  14. This is a very informative post Sir Paul. Thanks for joining the COMEX in FBF :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Rovie and thank you too for your visit and commenting.

      Delete
  15. two years into the blogging world, yet i am perplexed as to what difference does a domain from a sub domain is :)
    i guess, i need to read more. my bad :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just OK Riz, me too I just learned about them just recently. Now I understand how they differ from each other but both have pros and cons, so which ever we choose - it is best for us. Thank you always for your time.

      Delete
  16. I use sub domain a few times but end up buying a domain for a certain site. It is good but I still like own domain not sub domain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats Momgen. Wish I could have it too - one of these days. So what have you noticed having a domain name compared to a sub domain? Thanks and see you around again.

      Delete
  17. sa totoo lang tamad ako intindihin ang sub domain..hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been trying to buy another domain for the past weeks, I was able to purchase another one but had difficulty setting it up huhuhu, so I just content with myself with my domain at present and maybe in time I will be able to fix the other one...I do not have much time to maintain two domains afterall...blessed day :-) happy writing, I enjoy reading your thoughts...:-)

    ReplyDelete

Webmasters, Online Writers Try ZEEF - Filtering The World's Information and to Enhancing Your World Status and Online Connections
For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. The best way to do this is with a link to this web page: Wikinut Awesome Where Pen Writes, Win Rewards and Recognitions -

Welcome. Enjoy Your Stay

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

This blog is safe to hang on. Both young and old, any Nationals: Male and Female – Students, Housewives, Professionals – Domestic and International audience are welcome. Also I would appreciate for your honest comments and suggestions. This blog caters articles about Education, History, Health, Article Marketing, Web Marketing, Bookmarking Sites, Social Networks, Site Reviews, Social Media, Issues, Celebrities, Music, Money, Making Money Online, Business, Business Opportunities, Search Engines Optimization, Music, Science, Self-Improvement, Blog, Blogging, Writing, Writing Tips, Travel, Online Writing, Technology and other things I always love to write under the merciless sun. If there are bloggers and other writers planning to connect with this blog, I would be happy to Welcome Everyone.

ppruel @Wikinut

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service